12 november 2012
Government decision concerning drafts of an investment programme and a financial plan for Russian Railways for 2013 and the planning period of 2014 and 2015
The above was considered at a November 8, 2012 Government meeting. The following decisions were made:
1. To take into consideration the report by the Transport Minister concerning the issues.
2. To basically approve the parameters of an investment programme and a financial plan for Russian Railways for 2013, with due account taken of the discussion held and proposals made.
3. For the Ministry of Transport, the Ministry of Economic Development and the Federal Tariffs Service, jointly with Russian Railways, to:
- analyse the possibility of further optimisation of Russian Railways costs in 2013;
- submit to the Government proposals on methods to formulate indicators for the investment programme and the financial plan for Russian Railways, including the use of loans, and further implementation with due account taken of the economic effect from the implementation of the investment projects;
- examine the advisability of including in the investment programme of Russian Railways for 2013 funds to carry out research and development on projects to “eliminate bottlenecks” on the approaches to ports and border crossings in the Far East, including on the Baranovsky-Khasan section;
- carry out, based on the results of the Government decisions, the necessary corrections to the financial plan indicators in the section concerning the further use of Second Freight Company wagons, leased to Russian Railways.
4. For the Ministry of Transport, the Ministry of Economic Development, the Ministry of Finance and the Federal Tariffs Service, jointly with Russian Railways, to update the parameters of the financial plan and investment programme for Russian Railways for 2014 and 2015, with due account taken of the discussion held and proceeding from the need to increase the funding for the investment programme (discounting short-list projects backed by budget funding) to 360 billion roubles annually, and also to carry out additional measures to:
- increase receipts from selling the shares of Russian Railways’ subsidiary and dependent companies;
- optimise the programme of renewal for motive power, keeping in mind the development of production capacity for the building of locomotives and with due account taken of the increased productivity and energy efficiency of a new locomotive fleet;
- carry out the required volume of repairs on the railway infrastructure to reduce the kilometres of track with overdue capital repairs;
- increase energy efficiency and energy savings;
- determine sources of funding for the investment projects in accordance with the decisions taken by the Government on this issue, in the section concerning their categorisation.
The results of the work are to be reported to the Government before March 1, 2013.
5. For the Ministry of Transport, the Ministry of Economic Development, the Ministry of Finance and the Federal Tariffs Service, jointly with Russian Railways, to submit to the Government proposals for updating the inventory of railway property in limited use with a view to putting them on the market and increasing income from the railway transport infrastructure while keeping the branch technologically sustainable.
The deadline is February 1, 2013.
6. For the Ministry of Transport and the Ministry of Economic Development, jointly with Russian Railways, to submit to the Government, with due account taken of earlier instructions, a financial model for the development of high-speed traffic in Russia bearing in mind the decision on the cities taking part in the organisation and holding of the World Football Cup in 2018.
The deadline is November 30, 2012.
7. For the Deputy Prime Minister, within an inter-branch task group on the development of railway transport, to examine the following issues:
- a list of investment projects until 2020, based on the priorities set by the Government, complete with feasibility assessments, broken down by stages and indicating funding sources, including possible budget support beyond 2016 (if necessary);
- a short list of investment projects aimed at “eliminating bottlenecks” on the approaches to ports until 2015;
- a phased optimisation of budget backing for long-distance passenger traffic during the next three years to reach the target level in 2015 of not over 15 billion roubles a year.
The deadline is November 30, 2012.
8. For the Ministry of Transport and the Ministry of Economic Development, jointly with Russian Railways, to ensure the publication of Russian Railways’ corporate strategy with respect to its subsidiary and dependent companies and have it discussed widely to ensure the transparency of plans to sell shares of Russian Railways’ subsidiary and dependent companies.
The deadline is March 1, 2013.